[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 9 19:45:07 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 13:28, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>Again, I don't think you understand what delta'ing systems
>>like CVS does compared to just a "HTTP accessable" repository
>>trees.  A world of difference!
>

> I've never said I wanted deltas. I've said I wanted yum
> to not consider additions to a repository past a certain
> timestamp so it will make the same update decision it did
> a week or so ago even if the repostitory has additions.

Ok, you don't want to store deltas, you want to store
multiple *copies*. That's even worse!

> You said the alternative was easy.  This question was just to
> find out what you mean by "easy". Put a price tag on what you
> mean when you say easy.
>
> How much would it cost for you to do it your easy way for
> me - to have perhaps a dozen repository states saved and
> 10 clients configured to use each of them?

[snip]

Well, let's see, you want to have everyone in the world except
you to have to maintain a dozen repository "states" (rather
ill-defined word) so you can have the luxury of not doing so
yourself. And, never having maintained one (let alone a dozen)
repository "states" (whatever they are), you presume that it
is easy.

Here's what I don't get about this thread: We have a fellow who
has never done configuration management saying "All you have to
do is..." when experts still don't have a complete solution to
configuration management which works in all circumstances.
And when people who *have* done configuration management try
to point out that the task he wants performed is more complex
than he imagines, he argues back.

Everything always looks simple from the outside, I guess.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.