[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 9 21:56:34 UTC 2005

Lamar Owen wrote:
> Do you understand how annoyingly arrogant you sound?
> I am not a child, Bryan.

There is a fine line between confidence and cockiness.
I really try to avoid crossing it, but I really have my
experience to go on.

I've used revision control systems for binary file management
-- again, in the CAM world as well as EDA.  The problem is
the sheer data involved.  It's much, much easier to serve
things whole than to "ripple" deltas when dynamically
"re-assembling" a binary -- even if it's just part of it.

Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> You aren't a child, but you are naive. You seem
> intelligent, but, I hope you won't get offended,
> as I mean no offence, you are very ignorant.
> Remember, ignorance, like epoxy, can be cured.
> There is no cure for stupidity. And I don't think
> that you are stupid.

Well, I'm trying to avoid the "ignorant" word, although I
have used it in the past.  It's the one word that makes it
too easy to transition to "cockiness" when you're just trying
to "confidentally" share experience.

In the end, I really just need to avoid these threads.  If I
have a series of points to make, I'll do it on my blog.
After all, 9 times out of 10, I'm trying to share my
first-hand experience against second or third-hand.

> I'd rather have an arrogant, competent bastard running my
> repositories, than a nice well-mannered incompetent any
day.

Dude, you wouldn't know how many times I get work because of
these types of threads on lists!  ;->

I've literally been in a "debate" where I'm the "sole
minority" and I've had someone call me on the phone and say
... "Thank God!  Someone on the list who knows what works
best and, more importantly, why!  Are you available?"

Especially when it comes to LAN file/database servers, as
well as configuration management.  Especially for binary
CAM/EDA files and other high-overhead, large file operations.

> I speak from experience, having been in both circumstances.

Ditto.