How to maintain your own yum repository - was (RE: [CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (andwhy you're not getting it))

Greg Swallow - SkyNet gregswallow at skynetonline.ca
Fri Sep 9 21:59:45 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> No, that's what I want to avoid.  Everyone else responding
> *is* maintaining snapshot copies of repositories and I
> don't think anyone should have to.  Yum's view of a
> repository consists of all the hdr files it has downloaded
> from it.  I want it to pretend that files added after
> a certain time weren't there, thus creating a view of
> the state of the repository at a prior time.

At this moment in time, to do what you want, you have to maintain your own
repository.

If you want to create a custom repository and have control of it yourself,
or make a snapshot of a yum repository, which is a good idea to save
bandwidth if you are going to update multiple computers in one location,
there is a very good program to do this easily.  It is called Repo-janitor
and the author's website is here:
http://www.bioxray.dk/~mok/repo-janitor.php

I have written a howto and have rpms here for Centos 4.1:
http://smeserver.sourceforge.net/howto/RepoJanitor

Hope this helps,

Greg Swallow