[CentOS] Re: Mailinglist moderation -- more lists won't solve, but one ("practices") would help ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 11 17:10:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 12:32 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> A separate practice lists would only appeal to those wanting to learn or
> discuss best practices.

Given the #2 complaint about me seems to be volume and focus, and in the
overwhelming majority of these cases, I'm just sharing my first-hand
experience and practices.  That's something that tends to enfuriate many
seasoned administrators because they already know it, and it seems like
I'm "talking down to them."

If you are someone that enjoys the added verbage with my
recommendations, or don't mind not reading them, great.  But I've found
there is a significant enough number of people (I could at least 2
dozen) who disagree, and a "practices" list could serve their wishes.

> Best practices should be part of any solution provided.  :)

Again, I _beg_ to differ because my posting verbage seems to be a
regular complaint.  With a "practices" list, I could easily say "I'll
discuss this more on the 'practices' list" and I expect people to hold
me to it (although I'll do a good job myself).

And I'm sure it would free up other people's tongues who have more or,
better yet, complementary experience to mine, but are afraid to share
them because of the complaints I take (as well as a select, few others
-- I'm not the only one, although probably the greatest "offender"
overall) in our expansions of ideas on this list.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com