[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Wed Sep 14 16:11:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 06:00 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Sometimes I think it's the technical detail that I put in my
> post that pisses people off more than the volume.  This was a
> perfect example.  I do my _damnest_ to try to detail _real_
> technical _solutions_ and not a "wish list rant" for 5+ days.

No, I don't think so. Technical detail is just that. Technical detail.
It's the paragraphs of annotation explaining why your technical detail
is correct that gets people thinking your flaunting your knowledge.

> If other people are ranting about what they want, and I come
> in and list specific, detailed technical information,
> possible solutions, how they will and won't work, why oh why
> am I held up as an example?  I'm sorry, the "it's because you
> think you're smarter than anyone else" argument does _not_
> hold.

Of course not. You provide accurate and helpful information. It's just
that the way you present it, it's hard not to draw the conclusion that
you have secondary, albeit strange, motives for being so thorough in
explaining why it is you know all that you know.

> I have tried to provide possible solutions to people, not to
> sport my "knowledge," but to try to get them to be more
> productive.  I'm sorry I even re-entered the thread.  But it
> was just as "noisy" for 3 days when I let it be.

Of course it was. But this isn't the first time the topic of you
"sporting your knowledge" has come up. And I would say, after a certain
period of time, wouldn't you see this and realize that it's not some
grand conspiracy or a coincidence. There is something real happening.
And it's not EVERY PERSON on this list that is wrong. Something to think
about, at least. If I walked into a room and annoyed almost every person
in the room I wouldn't think they were jerks, out to get me, I would
wonder what I said or how I said what I said.

Just some helpful advice.

Preston