[CentOS] errors received in logs

Steven Vishoot sir_funzone at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 17:30:31 UTC 2005

--- Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 09:28 -0700, Steven Vishoot
> wrote:
> > now that i am done ranting. i have a question. I
> > received this error today and i think it was today
> > only so far, but the error is as follows.
> >
> > hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete
> > Error }
> > hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command
> >
> > i did some googling and found some stuff...but
> some
> > said go out and get another drive this one is
> going to
> > hard drive heaven very soon... and other said it
> could
> > be a software doing this and keep an eye on it.
> then i
> > saw some say about a program called smartctl. is
> this
> > a program that centos has...if not what is it and
> > where is a good place to get it and is it worth
> > running it?
> >
> > i am running centos 3.5 120gig maxtor. with a 1.8
> > intel cpu 512 mem.
> ----
> my initial reaction is one that favors my bias
> against Maxtor drives
> which would say to ditch the drive now.
>
> man hdparm
>
> man smartctl (though I would recommend hdparm as an
> easier interface)
>
> Craig

hello Craig,

why the bias against maxtor? in all the times i have
had maxtor i have not had any problems. I thought
western digital had the problems with hard ware
slapping. where the read/write head would contact the
platter and that was it for the drive, but that was
many years ago. Have they cleaned up their act or
should i say their drives. I will not touch
IBM/Hiatchi i have had tooooooooooooooooooo many
problems. right now it would be hard to convince the
wife to spend money on the computer when i dont have a
job now. :-(

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."