[CentOS] errors received in logs

Ed Clarke clarke at cilia.org
Wed Sep 14 17:35:44 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 09:28 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:
>

>>i did some googling and found some stuff...but some
>>said go out and get another drive this one is going to
>>hard drive heaven very soon... and other said it could
>>

>----
>my initial reaction is one that favors my bias against Maxtor drives
>which would say to ditch the drive now.
>
>man hdparm
>man smartctl (though I would recommend hdparm as an easier interface)

Maxtor isn't quite as bad as Micropolis was.  I was in the process of
finding out who to bribe
in France so that their next nuclear test would be upwind of Singapore
when they went bankrupt.
I bought twenty four drives and not one lasted more than a month.
Special "video rated" 4.5GB
SCSI drives too.  May their goats give them all VD.

Enough ranting - get rid of the drive now before it dies.  At a minimum,
do a full backup and
nightly incrementals.  I recommend bacula if you have a second linux system.