[CentOS] Capturing audio streams with Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Sep 15 17:06:00 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> So I need my phone to be separate from my PDA so it
> can fly out of my bike shorts and slam on the ground
> at 30 mph.

Wow!  You sound _exactly_ like someone who hasn't seen the
rugged Kyocera phones.  And even the Treos are pretty sturdy
(more so than Pocket PC PDAs/phones).  Nothing like listening
to some MP3s from a SD on a bike (yes, even this "Fat Guy"
rides one ;-)!

> So I'm not going to return my Pocket PC based on your
> recommendation.

Dude, I was just wondering how you evaluated.  I'm sorry for
even mentioning it, but you _did_ bring up the fact that you
had to go Windows on a Linux list.

I thought I'd just mention the options you have for a Linux
compatible device, that's all.  Maybe someone _else_ might be
intersted?

> Can you stop with this?

Do you have a guilt complex or something?

REALITY CHECK:

_You_ didn't have to explain a thing about Windows or the
fact that you have a Pocket PC, etc... just to ask about
encoding.  But you did.  Sorry I mentioned what options you
might have missed.

Maybe someone else will use the info next time.  Okay?

> I have an SD slot, my point is that I don't want to load up
> one gigantic MP3 file into the MP3 player application.

And this _entire_ question had what to do with needing a
Pocket PC-based PDA?  Again, _you_ introduced it.  Now you're
upset that I mentioned there were other options.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  But on a Linux list, when
someone starts mentioning options and what things don't do
that are Linux compatible, I tend to offer several options
that do.  That's all.  Don't have a guilt complex or
something because that's _not_ what I'm trying to do!

> Well, you should have just said RTFM and left it at that,
> probably.

And you didn't need to say that you had to go Pocket PC just
to ask a question about encoding.

I'm _not_ complaining you did.  But I _am_ pointing out this
fact, and why some asshole like myself might bring up the
Linux compatible options out there.

This is _exactly_ what I mean about hypocrisy.  I did *NOT*
complain about you going on about Pocket PC why you couldn't
use a Linux compatible device.  But you _are_ complaining
about I am mentioning some Linux alternatives that you ...
obviously ... didn't bother to investigate.

Sorry to have "guilted" you on a Linux list, not my intent.