[CentOS] Capturing audio streams with Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Sep 15 19:21:39 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> No. I'm just trying to stop these tit for tats before they
> get out of control.

You took offense, not I.
Then you tried to pin it on me.
What is this "tit for tats" issue?

All I said was that if you're going to say something doesn't
do what you need under Linux, I'm going to list some options.
 That's all.  Don't take offense.

> Of coures not and now I wish I didn't.

On a Linux list, it was unnecessary, just like this very next
statement:

> No guilt here. I use the right tool for the right job.

And by that statement, you're saying a Palm-based,
Linux-compatible solution was not.  I _only_ said "to each
his own," but it sounded like there were many options you had
not considered.  You even started talking about price, which
is one area where Palm is typically (and was in this case)
cheaper.

Why oh why do people have to explain their
non-Linux/non-Linux-compatible purchases by claiming things
that might not be true in the eyes of others?  That only
means when some stupid schmuck like myself points out some
Linux or Linux-comaptible options, you will get defensive.

I am so sorry I decided to mention things.  I was not trying
to "Challenge" you but everytime you made your very -- and
quite unnecessary -- "excuses," you were basically saying
"Palm doesn't do this, Palm doesn't do that, etc... Pocket PC
was the only option for X, Y and Z"  That's what I have
problem with!

I really, _really_ tried to say "to each his own, if you like
the way Pocket PC does this better, great."  But you felt you
had to justify it in another way.  Why?

> But it's kind of pointless when I already have the device
> in hand and am only asking about encoding.

But you are _asserting_ what is _not_ available in the Linux
/ Linux-compatible world.  That's the problem.

> I did investigate. And I chose Pocket PC.

But then you claimed things like capability, price, etc...

I am very, very, _very_ sorry you saw this as a "you must go
Linux/Linux compatible."  From the get-go you had a guilt
complex, and were trying to make reasons why.  Why did you do
that?

99% of the time, you're only going to say things that aren't
true.  It's the worst-case-scenario I see from Linux
advocates in the IT Profession -- they actually market
against open by stating their non-open choice by falicies
about the open option.

Just say you preferred the features and don't add the other.