[CentOS] Mailing List Etiquette

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Fri Sep 16 04:36:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 17:57 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> I just want people to think about one thing ...
>
> What is the purpose of posting a RTFM or JFGI?
>
> If you (and everyone else) doesn't post anything to that person ... and
> if they really need to get the item done, they will do one of those
> things to complete the item, won't they?
>
> Now ... if we post a link, and say we found it by googling on terms xxxx
> and yyyy ... then they get help and learn what we googled on to find it.
> That is nice, it helps, AND it teaches.

I agree. I know how to read man pages. I've been using Linux for 8 years
now. 5 as my main OS. But sometimes issues come up where you just wonder
(as I did) if someone may have run across this issue themselves and
knows the answer off of the top of their heads. And if they do, then
there answer is here for others to read in the future. I think that kind
of reciprocation is helpful and positive.

I apologize once again for letting myself get dragged into the scrum.
There's no excuse for that. I have hard time with letting it go when
people take me to task for something totally tangential to the question
I asked. But that's no excuse. I should have just hit the delete key.
That's the best way to moderate a list.

Once again, I apologize for my part. I hope everyone can forgive me. I
love CentOS and the CentOS community. I wasn't trying to "start
something". I was simply trying to figure out how to break up a recorded
stream of my local NPR station so I could listen to it on my new PDA.

Preston