[CentOS] CentOS 4U2 timing.

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Fri Sep 16 05:46:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:01:59AM +0400, Security wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>

> >Personally I spend 30-50 hours a week doing CentOS related stuff ... but
> >not just building updates (that is only maybe 15% of the time).
> >
> >I also maintain the mail lists, research and build items for centosplus
> >and centosextras, maintain the mirrors database, manage all the CentOS
> >servers (14 and counting), manage the website, answer questions on IRC
> >and in the centos forums, etc.
> >

> So .. for you it's a really full time job ?
> Damned .. 30 hours ..  I take what .. 2 hours per day ..  10 hours per week.
> But i work on gralinux "at work" (and we use it for all linux servers we
> have)
> so it's easy to me to do some reseach/tests.
>
> Anyway you and all your staff are making a really good job :)

I'd say that i spend some 30-50 hours too with CentOS-related stuff
too. Updates being the easy part. It does have it's 'sane moment
between U-releases', but for example it has been now several weeks of
preparation of 4.2 (compiling and looking if it's sane).

So as Johnny said, the maitenance of security etc. fixes isn't that
time consuming (for me it's wall clock time as s390(x) under hercules
might take a lot of physical time). I do sometimes take and do
funbuilds. Just put together latest of all SRPMS and build the damn
thing with the latest compiler released - just to see if it still hold
together. This i do for i386 and x86-64 too (i used to generate my own
PXE-installable distros out of these too, but lately i haven't quite
had time for that anymore :)

Later the hacking value and consumed time has kind of sky rocketed w/
the release alpha/axp which needs a lot more work than just rebuilding
(starting from hacking CentOS-4 kernel working on that arch).

But i don't complain. This is actuallu path that i've chosen. I did
very clearly understand that when i push out something like
CentOS-4/axp, i am oblicated to support is 5-6 years. Being weird guy,
i actually like the distribution building itself - took sevral years to
realize it tho :)

The there is the 'mocking value' (which i was just yesterday critized
about) at mailing lists and IRC. That is something not so intensive. I
do more at IRC than at mailing lists tho.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/