[CentOS] [OT] DirectDial.com ....

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Sat Sep 17 14:03:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 09:06:33AM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III enlightened us:
> Chris Mauritz wrote:
>
> >William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> >

> >>.... does anyone onlist have any 1st-hand experience (good or bad) w/
> >>DirectDial.com for procuring computer components ? Thanks in advance
> >>:-). I am interested in them as a potential source for parts to build an
> >>Opteron box running Linux, probably CentOS, to bring this slightly on
> >>topic ....
> >>

> >Never heard of them.  For building whitebox systems, I've always had
> >pretty good luck with Newegg.com or Monarchcomputer.com.  Their prices
> >are usually nearly the lowest and both provide a good variety of gear
> >and have decent customer service.  Also, if you just want to buy cheap
> >whitebox rackmounts rather than build them from scratch, I've also had
> >good luck with pogolinux.com and 8anet.com.  If you need help
> >integrating the system, shoot me an email off list.
> >
> >Cheers,
>

> I like both NewEgg & Monarch, but neither has the mbd I am looking for
> (Tyan Tomcat K8S, S2850G2N), so off into the weeds ....

I've always had good luck with Insight.com. They beat CDWG hands down every
time on price and service. Their non-educational prices don't seem to be too
bad, either, and they've got the board you're looking for. You might include
them in future searches. They're usually a little more expensive than
NewEgg, but in the end they don't screw you as bad on shipping (i.e. 2 items
does not mean $shipping_cost * 2, it's $shipping_cost + a little).

http://insight.com/site/product/detail/index.cfm?item_number=S2850G2N

$239.53

Matt

--