[CentOS] Installing Java on X86_64 CentOS 4.1

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Sep 19 16:10:13 UTC 2005

David Johnston wrote:

>>>I'll second the suggestion to run the 32-bit browser.
>>>What do we gain by using a 64-bit version of Firefox?  So many of the
>>>plugins won't work with it & aren't available in 64bit.

A distro isnt built around a single app - and if there is a feature
lacking on one tree ( x86_64 in this case ) the system is capable of
running the i386 distro, perhaps you might want to switch ? I run
Firefox.x86_64 with no issues, but then I dont need/use any of those
plugins either :)

Having said that, its also possible, to just grab the firefox.i386
browser from the i386 tree and install that locally. A couple of well
placed exclude= and includepkgs= in the relevant yum config files, will
even let you automate the process.

> So should we file reports in Red Hat's bugzilla or lobby you to make an
> exception in this case? ;-)

Does ( as Tru already pointed out )
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html not
give you what you need w.r.t Java on x86_64 ?

> The current system (64-bit browser) breaks things and requires manual
> intervention to get things working.  If you stop building Firefox for
> 64-bit architectures, yum will fall back to the 32-bit versions which
> work, meaning that no manual intervention will be required.

There is no 32bit, i386 firefox in the CentOS/x86_64 distro tree so yum
is not going to fall back to anything.

ref: http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/x86_64/CentOS/RPMS/

- K