[CentOS] upgrade problem

Brian T. Brunner

brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Sep 19 18:53:16 UTC 2005

Currently we have RH7.3 with compiler gcc 2.96.x

My mission, should I choose to accept it, involves moving
our embedded application to CentOS 4.1 with gcc 3.x

Problem is that about 1/2 million lines of code that gcc 2.96
accepts gives fatal fits to the gcc 3.x compiler from CentOS 4.1

I don't know how many fatal fits, as some disguise others etc.
"Can't find register to spill" is a common exit-barf from gcc 3.x.

What I'd like to find is a comparison of gcc 2.96.x to 3.x from the
perspective of porting something from RH7.x to CentOS/RHEL 4.x

What I did was make a fresh install of CentOS 4.1 and then load
the source code for the application and try to make.  What gcc 2.96
compiler assumed about the underlying OS, and what gcc 3.x
assumes about the underlying OS, may be relatively skew.  Whether
any of the application code assumes a 2.96 set of assumptions, where
this set of assumptions is broken under 3.x, is unknown (and is the
kind of detail I'd like to see in the above-hinted-at porting guide).

Links? Pointers? Tips? Clues?

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838