[CentOS] upgrade problem

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 19 21:39:12 UTC 2005

Brian T. Brunner wrote:
> Currently we have RH7.3 with compiler gcc 2.96.x
>
> My mission, should I choose to accept it, involves moving
> our embedded application to CentOS 4.1 with gcc 3.x
>
> Problem is that about 1/2 million lines of code that gcc 2.96
> accepts gives fatal fits to the gcc 3.x compiler from CentOS 4.1
>
> I don't know how many fatal fits, as some disguise others etc.
> "Can't find register to spill" is a common exit-barf from gcc 3.x.

Frankly, that sounds like an internal error in the compiler. Either
the register allocater, the temporary creator, or the register
spiller seems to be failing to do its job.

This does not appear to me to be a porting problem, but a defective
compiler. Is there any reason you must use the later compiler?

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.