[CentOS] importing mails from a outlook express .dbx files

Bill Baird Bill.Baird at phoenixmi.com
Thu Sep 22 13:45:03 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 01:17, Fatih Olcer wrote:
>>i need to import mails from outlook express .dbx files to thunderbird,
>>kmail or and other email client.
>
> If you can still run outlook to access them, fire up dovecot as an
> imap server on the Centos side, add a new account pointing to it in
> the outlook client, and just drag the messages over to a folder or
> even the inbox on the
I dont think this actually works as advertised. You cant move folders over - client limitation. So you need to create your folder tree manually and then move emails for each folder across. Which is not a problem if you have a few folders - but if there are a few dozen's of them .....
Does thunderbird not have an 'import emails from Outlook' option anymore?
Just run that on the Windows machine ( if the windows machine is still available, and you are not doing this exercise from a backup media ), then move the mail storage tree from under thunderbird over to the linux side of things. ( the fact that kmail was mentioned seems to indicate the target machine runs linux, i might be wrong ).
- K

Another thing that might be helpful, (or might not be at all).  If you have both Outlook Express & Outlook on the computer, you can start up Outlook and it will ask you if you want to import your Outlook Express account(as long as you don't have any profile already setup).  Once you do this, your emails will be stored in a PST file...which seems to be easier to work with rather than Outlook Express's DBX files.  Just a thought...

--Bill