[CentOS] Kernel building

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Thu Sep 22 14:52:52 UTC 2005

I have not even decided if I want to undertake a kernel build, but for
the sake of discussion, if everything happens to be in the stock kernel,
why, other than file bloat, would you want to build a custom kernel?  In
FreeBSD, you can remove all those devices and drivers that are not
needed, and, depending on how much stuff you add or delete, can make a
decent size reduction in the kernel itself.  I'm not smart enough to
know if there is a performance trade-off with a whole bunch of unneeded
modules or drivers in the kernel, but perhaps common sense tells me that
there must be some kind of performance hit otherwise.  Kernel building
in Linux is very much different from the BSD camps, and I'll admit I'm
not sure I understand enough about the Linux build process to undertake it.

Comments appreciated......

--
Snowman