[CentOS] Recommendation On Ping And Alert Tool

Brian Watters brwatters at abs-internet.com
Fri Sep 23 04:37:56 UTC 2005

Try the following .. It rocks ..

JFFNMS

http://jffnms.sourceforge.net

Very powerful tool ..

BRW

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Todd Reed
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 12:38 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: RE: [CentOS] Recommendation On Ping And Alert Tool

Try OpenNMS.  Nagios and Zabbix can also do historical data, although I'm
not sure about SNMP.  I've tried using both and by dar, I feel that OpenNMS
is easier to work with.  The installation of Tomcat and Java is the hardest
item.  I do know that OpenNMS can do SNMP.  Pretty much, I give OpenNMS the
IP address and it finds the common services.  You may have to go in and
define custom services (I had to since my Oracle servers have multiple
listener ports).  It will try the default SNMP string, but if you change it,
there is a web form to change it.  You can also enter your asset information
through the web form.

You can also create custom reports that can be called on the fly.

Check out http://www.opennms.org for the screen shots and more information.

I've been working with it for about 2 weeks and already I'm able to do more
with it than Nagios or Zabbix.  The only thing I liked about Nagios is the
WRML graph, but I mainly want to see a status grid and that's it.

--Todd