[CentOS] CENTOS 3.5 (AMD64) NFS install issue

Dr R L Oswald

L.Oswald at cranfield.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 15:22:45 UTC 2005

We operate a cluster of Sun Xeon IA32 servers with Centos 3.5. Nodes are
installed via a host-specific kickstart script which is generated for
each node from a master template. Thus all kickstart scripts are clones
of the master, edited for hostname,  IP address etc only.

The CENTOS 3.5 ISO images are exported from a server & that remote NFS
mount is also configured in the master template. This works perfectly
well & a fully automated installation requiring no operator intervention
results.

We recently added some new Opteron nodes to give us some 64-bit
capability. These of course, use a slightly different master kickstart
template as they mount up a different ISO directory from the NFS server,
which contains the x86_64 version of Centos 3.5.

When we install these 64-bit nodes, however, we get the message: "that
directory could not be mounted from the server". On hitting OK we get
the usual dialogue box which displays our chosen server IP and the
correct x86_64 ISO directory, if we OK that, the NFS installation
proceeds unattended as normal.

I think we saw a similar thing with redHat 9 NFS kickstart installations
but it was quite variable.

Anyone seen that with CENTOS3 or RHEL3 & got any clues ?

TIA

Les