[CentOS] OT: EVDO cards / service with CentOS

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Sep 24 15:41:25 UTC 2005

On Saturday 24 September 2005 11:18, Barry Brimer wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  What model of card do you have?  Any
> special kernel support needed for the device?
The card I've got is the slightly older PC 5220. There are detailed setup
instructions at http://www.ka9q.net/5220.html
Everything works with the stock kernels.
The current 5740 cards are supposed to work exactly the same way just with
different product id. Put the card in, run lspci -vv and pull the ID out and
you're set.

> Does anyone have any experience using PCMCIA to PCI adapters under
> CentOS 4.1?  Particularly are there any that you've had bad experiences
> with?
Yes, usually no problem... After all, they use the same controller chips as
any laptop does. I've bought several random ones off of ebay without issues -
but if you want to make 100% sure go for a Elan card -
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/p111.php - they have specific
instructions for using their cards with linux on their webpage.

From everything I can tell, the card is less of an issue than your motherboard
bios, especially with power management. As a bridge chip it requires special
treatment... So if you have issues with the pcmcia card, try without acpi or
with a pci irq routing.

Peter.