[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 18:41:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 14:11, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> I'm starting a project to build a MythTV box for my living room. Anyone else
> currently working with MythTV on CentOS 4?

Have not used Centos but I do have a master backend/frontend running on
FC3 and a slave backend/frontend running on FC4.

I would think the easiest way to do this with Centos would be to use the
ATRPMS as a base and work from there.  The other alternative is to build
it from source which should not be to bad.  Just use the various how
to's and guides put out for FC3 as a starting point.

Jarod's guide is pretty good.  Just remember to expand and read all the
sections.  http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

> - I picked up a cheap Radeon 7000 with TV out. Wrong! Various posts seem to say that
> the TV Out functionality is not supported by the X.org radeon driver. It *does* work
> with the vesa driver though. I just don't know if video and DVD playback will work
> with the vesa driver. Does anyone know?

Been using the TV out on the PVR-350.  Have been using this primarily
for recording TV and playing it back.  The output is spectacular.  I can
not tell the difference between the original broadcast show and the
mythtv recording. (except that is skips over most commercials
automatically of course. )

> - The stock RedHat kernel does *not* have irda support enabled. I downloaded
> 2.6.13.2, enabled irda, and my motherboard's irda port is found and configured. We'll
> see if I can get it to work with the IR adapter in the nMediaPC case I bought.
>
> Kirk Bocek

I use the remote provided by the PVR-350 which does a good job.  The
second system I installed this on took all of about 15 minutes to get
the remote working if that much time.

If/when you get to the point of setting up a slave backend let me know,
there were a couple of gotcha's that I had to work through to get that
working as expected.  And as far as I am concerned none of the how to's
or guides really explain setting up a slave backend clearly.  (I think
by the time they got to setting up a slave backend they assumed a lot
and knew how it all worked, those of us new to mythtv don't have that
background, yet.)

Depending on the type of inputs you will be recording you will want to
have at least two capture cards if not three or four.  This makes
conflicts less likely to occur.