[CentOS] centos 4 installed on P4 won't boot on P3

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Sep 29 12:37:51 UTC 2005

William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Application code compiled for a P4 (using full P4 optimizations) usually
> won't run on a P3, I suspect the same for kernels. I betcha you need to

dude.... the i686 kernel works fine on P-2 / P-3 / P-4. there is _no_
code in CentOS3/i386 and CentOS4/i386 that wont run on a machine that is
an i686 Arch type.

Unless you are talking about P-4's with EM64T / x8664. But I presume,
knowing the system is a P-3, Tom didnt install x86_64 on there.

( I dont think you would even see the grub prompt in that case, but I
havent tried running a x86_64 OS on a P-3 )

- KB