[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Bogdan Nicolescu bo2k2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 21:33:09 UTC 2006

Nick,

The question of kernel compilation is a periodic
question, and usually the answer will be anything else
except the process itself.  I asked the same question
just a couple of days ago. Don't bother wasting time
waiting for an answer, and start searching the web.
rpmbuild seems to be part of the method required for a
custom kernel.

The irony is that for a distributions which prides
itself to be a recompilation of another distribution
(RH) (and we're all grateful for that), the process of
recompiling one of the integral part of the
districtution, the kernel, is one of the best kept
secrets.  Why can't some just give a straight answer
or point to a page that has the answer?

Anyway, I have searched, and found this guides which
might help:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-kernel

and

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc4.html

Didn't have the time to try it out yet myself.  Next
week sometimes.