[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 23:44:13 UTC 2006

People are still seemingly deciding whats "right" for a person without
knowing their situation. No one is asking for support on a kernel they've
compiled themselves, nor are they expecting it. They aren't going to slap
Centos when a problem arises from it and blame them.

Just some situations sometimes seem to require it. One thing I'll likely be
doing in the near future is changing the kernel frequency for example, and
as far as I know its only possible with a recompile. Its unlikely it will
break much, but if it does, thats on my head, and thats fine. I won't be
asking the list why my recompiled kernel suddenly has a fault unless its the
same on a default kernel of which I intend to run both, depending on
requirements.

I fully understand its not a Centos Supported issue in that sense due to its
position, but isn't this mainly what this email list is for as well (i.e to
bounce ideas, problems, solutions between each other who have hit a problem
and possibly come up with a solution albeit official or unnoficial whatever
that means in this context)?

Ian