[CentOS] Request: Correct procedure on how to build a custom kernel on Centos

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Sun Apr 2 10:18:11 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:15:40AM -0800, Bogdan Nicolescu wrote:
>> could someone point once and for all to an
>> authoritative guide on a complete/proper/correct
>> procedure on building and installing a custom kernel
>> using the rpmbuild method rather than the traditional
>> method.
>
> The way I would do it:
> 1) Get the src.rpm
> 2) Install it
> 3) Replace the kernel source tarball
> 4) Change the version on the specfile
> 5) Try to build

Wonder which of the ~700 patches referenced in the src.rpm is failing
now.

> 6) Rinse and repeat (#5 & #6), until it builds the way I want,
>    removing already applied patches and changing the ones needed
>    accordingly.

I think without massive editing of the spec file rebuilding a different
kernel version from the included src.rpm seems to be prone to failure.

Regards,

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one