[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Sun Apr 2 22:03:50 UTC 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 5:35 PM, Bogdan Nicolescu wrote:

> ps.  You still didn't answer my question about how not
> compiling ext2 into the kernel brakes everything.
> Don't worry, it was a rhethorical question.

oh ffs.

perhaps you don't explicitly plan to use ext2 support in any of your
projects, but how do you know that none of the utilities or other
programs you'll be running depend on ext2 support?  often changes
that seem "harmless" have unforeseen consequences.  i don't think
Johnny was saying that if you take out ext2 support you will
*definitely* cause problems; rather, i suspect he (and others) are
trying to dissuade you from recompiling the kernel in order not to
have to deal with the possible consequences of your breaking
something (and then coming back to the list to ask for help).

one of the reasons to choose RHEL (and thus CentOS) is the
standardized kernel.  given that you seem to be bound and determined
to rebuild a custom kernel, are you sure you wouldn't be better off
choosing another distro that's designed towards that sort of activity?

-steve

---
If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction.  - Fabian, Twelfth Night