[CentOS] install CentOS using an external USB cdrom

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Apr 3 18:25:57 UTC 2006

Ian Brown wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an external  USB cdrom ; I have a machine which does not have
> a VGA card and not  a standard IDE socket so you cannot connect a
> CDROM internally to it ; it has USB port;
> I want to install  CentOS using an external  USB cdrom on this machine,
> through the serial port.
>
> Is there a way to do it ? I am quite desperate about it.
>
> The motherboard DOES enable configuing the BIOS to boot from a USB
> device.

If you set the USB device as bootable in the bios, it should just work.
I have used a Sony USB DVD-RW drive to install CentOS on a few laptops
and a few 1RU rackmount systems that did not come with integrated
optical drives.  When you say it lacks a VGA card, does that mean you
have no video at all?

Cheers,