[CentOS] SELinux

Ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Wed Apr 5 11:52:43 UTC 2006

Chris Weisiger wrote:
> Who would / Who wouldnt need to run SELinux?
>
> I have linux server at home. Would I need to run SELinux?
>
> What are the advantages of SELinux?
>
> What is the average home user doing?

Up to you. I imagine the average home user does not run SELinux if it
gets in their way, but does if the setup is easy. Just a guess though.

If you are worried about security, I would check out Bastille
http://www.bastille-linux.org/running_bastille_on.htm , and Firestarter
http://www.fs-security.com/.

Bastille changes some of the CentOS default settings to more secure
values, firestarter is an iptables front end that will allow you to
easily block outgoing ports and ban IP subnets (two things
system-config-security can not do).