[CentOS] Screen sizes

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 20:27:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:44 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 14:28 -0500, Chris Peikert wrote:
> ><snip>

> Do ls on /bin and /usr/bin and pick some interesting looking files
> (often intro is pretty good place to start) and do
>
> "man <whatever-you-found-interesting>"   # no quotes

I just realized my advanced age caused a substantial omission there.
Clarification is in order.

Commands and man pages are viewd in one of (usually) 8 categories in *IX
systems. Sections 1, 2, 3, ... Sections 1, 5, 7, and 8 are often useful
to non-programmers (IIRC). Anyway, a command like

   man 1 intro

will offer some small beginning clues to the labrynth facing you. Ditto
for section 5,... Section 2,3,4 (sometimes) may also be interesting, but
these are really more for programmers.

--
Bill