[CentOS] w stopped working after upgrading procps

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 20:40:16 UTC 2006

Hi

On Thu 06-Apr-2006 at 04:25:36PM -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Chris Croome <chris at webarchitects.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed a lot of updates on a CentOS 4 box and w appears
> > to have stopped working -- this machine has 3 or 4 people connected via
> > ssh, yet this is all that is outputted:
> >
> >   # w
> >   20:46:32 up 301 days,  3:21,  0 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.04
> >   USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
> >
> > "rpmverify procps" returns nothing so the package hasn't been messed
> > with.
> >
> > I don't want to reboot the server -- does any have any suggestions what
> > could be done to get w working again?
>
> What kernel are you running, and which version version of procps are
> you running?

  # uname -r
  2.6.9-5.0.5.ELsmp

  # rpm -qi procps
  Name        : procps                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
  Version     : 3.2.3                             Vendor: CentOS
  Release     : 8.3                           Build Date: Sun 01 Jan 2006 05:57:38 GMT
  Install Date: Thu 06 Apr 2006 17:12:16 BST      Build Host: build-i386

I did update a *lot* of packages today I don't know if this could have
anything to do with it...

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris at webarchitects.co.uk>