[CentOS] Screen sizes

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Apr 7 02:52:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 21:42 -0500, Paul wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 22:11 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > But I'm an old CLI guy and have always gone for the shortest distance...
> >

> When I'm working servers CLI is usually the shortest way from point A to
> point B and for more complex things the only way.
>
> > > This is assuming you are using the system in GUI mode, since you are
> > > asking a question about changing display resolution probably a good bet.
> > >
> > > Nothing like making things more complex for a new user than needed.
> >
> > Confusion was not intentional. If you had come on the scene sooner, I
> > could have kept quiet and let you show the "right" way. I was looking
> > for the shortest path to his immediate need. He wanted to get more on
> > the screen.
>
> Well in Linux there is no "right" way generally though for some users
> the GUI tools provided are more immediately useful and you did provide
> the GUI command later in the thread I saw.

The GUI stuff is the hardest for me because I grew up when there was
nonesuch. Still learning it as I can. Unfortunately, it leaves me open
to criticism if I try to be helpful with what I already know and end up
sharing less current methodologies.

But never having been a real admin, I'm used to be half-right a lot. :-)

--
Bill