[CentOS] KDE vs Gnome

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 7 17:19:15 UTC 2006

Chris Peikert wrote:

> I think im using Gnome but im not sure.

I remembered that I have CentOS4.3 running dual-boot with Win2K on an
old machine, switched it to use the Gnome desktop, took a screenshot and
sent it to this machine. I'll describe it and/or mail it to you off-list
but attachments are frowned upon here.

See that "bar" across the top of the screen? It has (left to right) the
CentOS logo, "Applications", "Actions" and 5 icons. Then, 'way over to
the right, there's the update icon, time & date and speaker. If you
click on "Actions", you get a drop-down menu containing:

Run Application...
Search for Files...
Recent Documents
Take Screenshot
Lock Screen
Logout

"Search for Files" will open a GUI that lets you search for a file.
"Logout" takes you to a logout confirmation where you're given the
choice to logout, shutdown or restart.

> As for using logout command it didn’t work that’s why I got puzzled
> and had to ask online since I couldn’t find the GUI one which was
> there but apparently im too blind to see. Speaking of GUI side of
> things that’s why I made the comment about no search features in CentOS.

Twice blind, Chris. It's right there in front of you!

> None of my menus offer a search feature in the GUI so I would have to
> research the command line search feature. I know its FIND but I
> couldn’t figure out how to pull up the Help info on FIND to figure out
> how to use it.

ANY of the CLI commands have help available by typing man <command>. For
example, "man find" would have dazzled you.

> As for the HELP option in the GUI strangly it doesn’t contain any
> information so I would assume it didn’t get loaded in the Install.

It should be there. I also took a screenshot after clicking the help
button on the logout confirmation.
Would it be a fair question to ask if you installed CentOS on that
machine or if someone else in your office did it? I can believe you're
overlooking some things but it's hard to imagine that nothing fits what
you've been told so far.

I'm gonna go ahead and send those 2 screenshots to you off-list and hope
your boss doesn't get bent outta shape.

> As for the Manuals like I stated before…I just got the valid link last
> night to the right manuals and I am in the process of printing them
> out. Im a newb to Linux and so far Linux has not been newb friendly
> even though the people are. Finding Newb Linux info isn’t easy either
> that’s why I been mainly using this mail list. I know I know everyone
> says to use Google and if I would of found it on Google I wouldn’t of
> asked here. Hopefully as I learn Linux more I will know how to search
> for the information better to get the answers I am looking for.
>
> My next quest is to figure out how to tell if certain hardware drivers
> are loaded and if not how to download and load em.

WHOA! Before figuring out HOW to download and install them, you need to
know IF you need them. What pieces of hardware did you have in mind? One
thing you really don't need to do at this tender stage is to start
grabbing parts & pieces from any source that has 'em and loading that
stuff on your system. That can be tricky for even the guys that always
have answers and never have questions here but for a newby, it's an
almost certain recipe for disaster.