[CentOS] heartbeat, drbd init scripts and chkconfig

Nielsen, Steve

SNielsen at comscore.com
Fri Apr 7 17:17:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are using the heartbeat and drbd packages from latest centos (4.3)
extras repository.

Upon installation of both packages I noticed that if you "chkconfig
heartbeat off" that will cause drbd to chkconfig'ed on. And visa versa.

After doing some trouble shooting it turns out the "BEGIN INIT INFO"
sections appear to be the cause.

drbd has:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: drbd
# Required-Start: $network $syslog sshd
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:  3 5
# Default-Stop:   0 1 2 6
### END INIT INFO

heartbeat has:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# It will start services at initialization, and when machines go up
# or down.  This version will also perform IP address takeover using
# gratuitous ARPs.  It works correctly for a 2-node configuration,
# and is extensible to larger configurations.
#
# It implements the following kinds of heartbeats:
#   - Bidirectional Serial Rings ("raw" serial ports)
#   - UDP/IP broadcast (ethernet, etc)
#   - UDP/IP multicast (ethernet, etc)
#   - Unicast heartbeats
#   - "ping" heartbeats (for routers, switches, etc.)
#     (to be used for breaking ties in 2-node systems
#    and monitoring networking availability)
#
# Short-Description: High-availability services.
# Required-Start: $network $time $syslog
# Required-Stop: $network $time $syslog
# Default-Start: 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 6
### END INIT INFO

Is this a bug in how chkconfig handles the "INIT INFO" sections or the
way its supposed to work? I don't see any reference to the other in the
"INIT INFO" sections so I would not think its supposed to work this way.

Can someone offer some clarification ?

To re-create this problem just install the 2 packages (heartbeat and
drbd) then chkconfig off one and chkconfig list both services.

Thanks,
Steve