[CentOS] Several problems upgrading CentOS 4.1 to 4.3

Ale Feltes Quenhan ale at roshka.com.py
Sun Apr 9 19:58:59 UTC 2006

Mike Kercher wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org <> scribbled on Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:43
> AM:
>

>> I had a CentOS 4.1 installation (LVM over RAID1), and tried
>> to do an update to the 4.3 release.
>> Nothing too fancy, I did all the partitions with the
>> graphical installer for the
>> 4.1 Version.
>>
> %<-----snip
>

>> I'm not a newbie, I have quite a while working with linux,
>> and I just want to aware people who are going to perform an
>> update, skipping some version in between or perhaps moving to
>> 4.3 to be very carefull in the process.
>> I think this was a experience that was worth telling and
>> researching to find out what really happend.
>>

> Why did you not just 'yum upgrade' to go from 4.1 to 4.3?

As I said before, this is a production server, so downtime is an
important issue and had to be minimized.
On the other hand, in my country, internet is very expensive, we pay
US$100 for 128Kbps.
That's the bandwidth I have available on the server, not to mention the
technology used for wireless, which gave us huge delays, so the
performance I get is even lower than 128Kbps.
I know that yum could take me to the 4.3 with no problem, except for the
time that it would have required.
I also know that some versions of you (not the one shipped with 4.1)
have the option to "download only", that might have help me, that is why
I went to the option of upgrading via de CDs.
I appriciate the suggestion, but I'm was not asking for that, I'm just
trying to figure it out, what did happend.
Is CentOS (or RHEL) not upgradeable skipping versions through CD or DVD?