[CentOS] First SSH now VSFTP

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Sun Apr 9 23:03:10 UTC 2006

Use iptables to fw the ip,

do a whois on the ip to  find out who owns it. Also check the reverse lookup

See if there is a web server running at the ip address, if yes see what
the content is.

Finally contact the owner of the IP as the ip address may be that of a
box that has been used as a staging post and it has been compromised itself.

If vsftp uses the TCP wrapper, you can specify the frequency and number
of connections in hosts.allow,  I don't use vsftp but I don't actually
think it does use the wrapper, but it can be configured to...

This article shows both method of running it:

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July2004/article341.shtml

This might be useful too:

http://www.whitedust.net/article/27/Recent%20SSH%20Brute-Force%20Attacks/

Hope this helps