[CentOS] How to know it's i586?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Apr 12 00:31:21 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:34:45 -0500:

> AMD K6 is i586, via C3, and normal pentium ... correct.  For those, you
> would use i586 to boot.
>
> For everything else (ie, the vast majority of x86 PCs, just press enter
> as usual :)

Ahm, so I should *not* use the i586 pxeboot kernel on a Pentium III (3)? I
saw that it's new in addition to the normal kernel in the pxeboot
directory. If the i586 is *only* for i586, then I'm better off to use the
normal kernel on a Pentium III and newer? I'm using the pxeboot kernel
just to start a remote VNC installation.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany