[CentOS] Update of CentOS 4.0 to 4.3

Mike Stankovic mlists2006 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 12:28:08 UTC 2006

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> Mike Stankovic wrote:
> > I recently upgraded several machines from 4.2 to
> 4.3
> > and its best to start with yum centos-yumconf
>
> thats understandable, since it would bring in the
> new distributed
> mirrorlist funcationality.
>
> > centos-release then go on to rpm\* glibc etc etc I
> had
>
> why ?? rpm glibc etc update fine in the yum/rpm
> transactionset...
>
> > a custom shell script that downloaded the ones i
> > needed for the first run.
>
> again, why ? yum will handle downloads and install
> order ( which can be
> significant ) for you.... why are you downloading
> using custom scripts ?
>

> > Make sure you install the new kernel not upgrade
> it
> > incase you have problems with the new kernel. You
> also
> > need to deal with all the rpmsave/rpmnew files.
>

> errr... you only need to deal with them, if it
> breaks something - if you
> have configured something or changed functionality
> of a pkg, you would
> _want_ this rpmsave / rpmnew situation to come up.
>
> > However if i were you, i wouuld back up my data
> and
> > reinstall 4.3 afresh from cds. There were changes
> ie
> > sqlite and so yum would complain.
>
> again, this sounds very very extreme. CentOS is not
> the sort of system
> you need to re-install every few months - on the
> other hand, its the
> sort of system you install once and let it run for
> years. the yum update
> path works fine, just stay in sync, update often (
> or as often as policy
> permits )
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

That is from the bad-old-fedora days when connecting
to remote servers over inconsistent connections was
the order of the day.

Kudos for CentOS which rids me of this menace.

Still 4.0 -> 4.3 is a big upgrade and selinux/yum/apt
have all changed.

On most of my systems I make changes to the default
config so perhaps my case is unique.