[CentOS] Problems with 4.3 install - didnt write boot record

Nick Smith nick.smith79 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 23:40:31 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 at 7:05pm, Nick Smith wrote
>
> > the first time i tried to install centos on my fileserver it detected
> > my reiserfs drives but then didnt give me a kernel to actually access
> > them - strike one
>
> Err, investigating whether upstream supports reiser would have been a good
> first move.

Yeah, never thought i had to, every other distro ive tired has it, and
it manages small files better than ext3, but i know now.

> > now im trying centos on my mail server, wipe the drives, created a
> > mirrored raid array from the setup, (took over 14 hours to format and
>
> That's *extraordinarily* slow, as in something seems very bad.

the drives are in perfect condition, ran the previous OS without any
problems, they are almost new.

> > sync) finally finished the install AND IT DIDNT WRITE THE BOOT RECORD!
> > when it rebooted i got my grub menu from GENTOO! - strike two,
>
> I've had occasional problems with grub not getting properly installed.
> It's easy to fix.  Put in the first CD, and boot with 'linux rescue'.
> Once it's mounted your install, 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' and 'grub-install
> /dev/sda' and/or just follow those instructions you mentioned.

cool, ill give it a try right now, thanks for the quick reply!

> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
worth paying for.