[CentOS] Pause after network initialization

Joshua Baker-LePain

jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Apr 13 18:07:01 UTC 2006

Is there a "proper" way to put in a pause after network initialization to
make sure the network *really* is up?  I've had this issue for a while
with e1000 cards (even on 100MB networks), where the first NFS mount will
fail b/c the network reports up but isn't, really.  Now, I'm also seeing
the same issue on cluster nodes hooked to a switch with jumbo frames
enabled.

I used to hack it with a 'sleep 60' at the end of the "start" function in
/etc/init.d/network, but that goes away whenever initscripts gets updated.
My new hack is to put 'mount -a -t nfs' in /etc/rc.local.  Any other
suggestions?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering