[CentOS] Pause after network initialization

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Apr 13 19:15:39 UTC 2006

Paul Heinlein said:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
>> Is there a "proper" way to put in a pause after network
>> initialization to make sure the network *really* is up?  I've had
>> this issue for a while with e1000 cards (even on 100MB networks),
>> where the first NFS mount will fail b/c the network reports up but
>> isn't, really.  Now, I'm also seeing the same issue on cluster nodes
>> hooked to a switch with jumbo frames enabled.
>>
> If NFS is the only issue, have you considered using the 'bg' mount
> option? The nfs(5) man page discusses it:

Good idea if you can survive with the temporary unavailability of the mount.

Just a thought as well... you running a Cisco switch?  Some switches
including Cisco are kinda slow to pass traffic after the link initializes
(spanning tree recalculation).  You might consider, if appropriate,
enabling fast port switching on that switch port.
-Alan