[CentOS] Re: RPMforge mplayerplug-in seems to be locking up my sound device

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 04:34:32 UTC 2006

On 4/16/06, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Got home from vacation last night and ran yum update.  Among other
> things installed was mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.el4.rf ... now any time I
> attempt to view CNN video, my sound device locks up

Some additional information:  The sound device is only stuck because
mplayer itself is stuck.  An "lsof /dev/dsp" revealed an mplayer
process holding the device open; killing that process allows other
processes to access the device again.

Nevertheless this was not happening, or at least not happening
predictably, before I upgraded to the new mplayerplug-in.