[CentOS] problem with "yum install libXmu.so.6"

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 05:03:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 21:50, Nat Gross wrote:

> > > But in the list below, the last listing, it does show 'installed'.
> > Indeed it does. I overlooked that.

> > > Ahem. And how do I figure that out? Is there some rule of thumb? Why
> > > wouldn't I always want the 64 version?
> >
> > Well, now we get back to why you were trying to install this lib in the first place.
> The IBM DB2 setup program would not run because it couldn't find "libXmu.so.6".
> I hope db2 is not poorly written! Furthermore, this is a 64 bit
> version from IBM!
>
> It's kinda hard to ask them to help on this because the classical
> answer "RHEL is the official distro". On another *32* bit server
> running Fedora, I received this answer, but I finally got it to work
> on Fedora (4 and 5), until *they asked me* to document it as to how I
> got it running!
> AND [non-ibm] folks over on the ibm db2 list advised that with Centos
> I wouldn't have any problems at all. So, I get this bran new dual core
> 64 bit server, and I say, ok this time; clean machine, let's go
> Centos. <sigh> here I am.
>
> > Since you have the 64bit package installed, and you
> > felt the need to try to install it again anyway, you've either got
> > poorly written source code that doesn't know enough to look for the
> > 64bit libs, or you have a binary application, game or other such
> > distraction that wants the 32bit lib for a reason. Not everything is
> > 64bit compliant yet so sometimes you need the 32bit libs.
> >
> Looking forward to document how I got it running on Centos<g>;
> nat

If it does want the 32-bit version it shouldn't hurt anything
to install it with:
yum  install xorg-x11-libs.i386
I needed that for VMware server recently and posted here about
a conflict with fontconfig from the 64-bit version.  I think
that's a bug but someone responded with a workaround:
rpm -e --justdb --nodeps fontconfig
You might also need glibc.i686.

--
  Les Mikesell