[CentOS] Alert icon for yum

José Alburquerque

jaalburquerque at cox.net
Thu Apr 27 04:37:59 UTC 2006

Hi all.  I have a simple question:  CentOS relies mostly on "yum" to
keep systems up to date, although I understand that like on RHEL,
"up2date" is also available.  On my system I've run both KDE and GNOME
as Graphical Desktops under X (though I presently run GNOME), and I've
noticed that there is an applet called "CentOS Network Alert Icon" (from
the "System Tools" menu) which when run appears in a "status area" in a
panel to show whether the system needs updating or not.  This applet
shows the up2date sources, but my question is:  Is there any way to have
some sort of similar applet that does this for yum.   I just think that
when we add repos we usually add them through yum.  Also when we update
the system we usually use yum.  Hence I think it would be better to use
an applet similar to up2date's for yum so that there is no need to edit
both yum and up2date files and there is consistency between when the
applet signals a need for updating and the actual "yum update" command.
Am I making sense?

I found a site (http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-applet/) with the
source for a yum applet.  I know I can build this for myself, but I was
wondering what others on this list think and whether such an applet
should be more widely available to the general CentOS audience.  Can I
go ahead and build this for my system?  TIA for your answers.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque