[CentOS] How to find your IP Address

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 13:26:36 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Chris Peikert <c.peikert at co.matagorda.tx.us> wrote:

> Ok guys a quick newb question. I have been reading up on the Red Hat
> Enterprise 4 for dummies book along with installing and playing with the
> configurations of Cent OS 4. I have yet been able to find any information on
> how to find out what your IP address is. I have it set to use DHCP from our
> Windows server and I looked under the network card configuration settings
> but can not find any command or GUI place that will show your IP Address.
> When I go to a windows machine and try to ping the Cent box by its name it
> cant find the host. Now I know I can go into the DHCP server but I need to
> learn how to find it on the Linux box.

/sbin/ifconfig ethX where X is the device number. If you're not sure
you can just do /sbin/ifconfig and it'll spit up all of them.

> Another question has to deal with Samba. I set up samba using the GUI
> interface then ran  service smb start command to start up samba. The book
> says I should be able to browse the network with a windows machine now and
> find the linux box but I am unable to. Any clues why its not showing up on
> the network?

The manual assumes that you don't have a firewall in the way. It's
possible that iptables is blocking access to other machines.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be