[CentOS] Problems with SSH

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King at lmit.com
Thu Apr 27 14:41:05 UTC 2006

I had the same problem with 4.3 on one system out of 4 I recently built.
I checked iptables, /etc/sysconfig/networks ,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (and eth1) , /etc/resolv.conf
etc etc.

What was strange is I could ping , nslookup etc from that system but
could never ssh to it. Same error message your posting.

I ended up using a mondorescue disk from another system that worked fine
and then fixed the configs for the different network configuration.

If you do find out the root cause of that please share it as it bugged
me not actually finding out why the same configuration process on 4
systems failed on 1 system (all the same exact hardware as well).

In the end I attributed the root cause to the interface between the
keyboard and the chair (me) as I could not find another cause.

-Greg