[CentOS] postfix, cyrus-imapd and ldap limitation

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 28 01:40:40 UTC 2006

I'm gonna remove the user name which is actually 1 character shorter
than 'username' ...

I have a client with a somewhat long domain name... myhomelenders.net

I am using LDAP and the primary mail address is in an ldap attribute
called 'mail' and that is working fine.

I also use an ldap attribute called 'mailLocalAddress' for storing
aliases and those have been working fine until now.

using raw ldapsearch, it works fine when I...

ldapsearch -x '(mailLocalAddress=username at myhomelenders.net)'

but apparently the chop comes after 23 characters because when I send
mail to the username at myhomelenders.net...

I get an email rejection for username at myhomelenders.n
eporting-MTA: dns; srv1.myhomelenders.net
Arrival-Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:25:02 -0700 (MST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; username at myhomelenders.n
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; [myhomelenders.n]: Name or service not known

and I get the email in 'user.et' (the balance of the name that remained
from above) which was delivered by cyrus.

So it seems as though the problem comes from postfix.

# grep filter /etc/postfix/main.cf
virtualAliases_query_filter = (|(mail=%s)(mailLocalAddress=%s))

Anybody with suggestions?

Craig