[CentOS] Alert icon for yum - Applies to FC4/FC5 and CentOS5

José Alburquerque jaalburquerque at cox.net
Fri Apr 28 21:03:42 UTC 2006

Mike Stankovic wrote:

>--- Jos� Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net>
>wrote:
>

>>I found a site
>>(http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-applet/) with the
>>source for a yum applet.  I know I can build this
>>for myself, but I was
>>wondering what others on this list think and whether
>>such an applet
>>should be more widely available to the general
>>CentOS audience.  Can I
>>go ahead and build this for my system?  TIA for your
>>answers.
>>
>>Sincerely
>>Jose Alburquerque
>>

>Incase you did not know, the link someone gave to yum
>applet applies to Fedora 4, 5 and onwards. CentOS 4 is
>based on RHEL which was in turn based on Fedora core
>3.  For the statisticians the 87% of the packages in
>FC3 appeared unmodified in nahant beta. In Fedora Core
>3 and earlier the familiar rhn applet notifies you
>when updates are available. Read between the line when
>consulting Fedora material beacuse it mostly appies to
>FC5 or FC4 all newer than CentOS. CentOS 5 will be
>based on RHEL 5 which will be based on FC5 (minus the
>annoying bugs and stuff upstream do not want to
>support).
>
>This situation may be confusing to people who may not
>be aware of the development chain.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the link I gave, but the author of
the "yum-applet" provided rpm packages for FC1 and FC2 and at the very
top of the page there is a link for FC3 packages
(http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/2.0/) which, as you said, would work
well with CentOS 4 (which I understand has a lot of FC3).  I do agree
though, as you said, that we should be careful about what Fedora
material we use in our systems.

>CentOS 4 has already a working applet
>rhn-applet-2.1.24-3.centos4.i386.rpm available in the
>base directory.

The rhn-applet presently works with up2date.  The problem, as I said, is
that a "yum compatible" applet would be nice.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque