[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Aug 3 06:14:37 UTC 2006

Alfred von Campe wrote:
>> the CentOS smartctl _does_ work (for me at least) with SATA disks  if
>> you use the "-d ata" option. So please try
>> smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda
>

> I was able to run this command and the output is attached.  Does
> anything there point to a disk HW failure?  I still think that I'm  just
> suffering from file system corruption.
>
>> You can run a long test with
>> smartctl -d ata -t long /dev/sda
>

> I just started this now, and it told me to wait for 70 minutes for  the
> test to complete.  How do I check its results?
>
> BTW, I was able to mount the LVM partition and copy some critical  files
> (see my next email).  After I did that I first tried to run the  long
> test and got a kernel panic.  But that was after getting a bunch  of
> errors when accessing the drive.
>
> Alfred

This disk is bad, as can be seen from

    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   253   253   063    Pre-fail
Always       -       1
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0008   252   252   000    Old_age
Offline      -       16
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   243   243   000    Old_age
Offline      -       10

These errors (partilculary those indicated by the last 2 lines) are
definitely responsible for the messages in the logs, the filesystem
corruption, and data loss.

There are Maxtor tools (at their webpage) to re-initialize the disk, and
if you're lucky, the disk will be good the next 10 years. But the errors
might as well show up again soon. So I'd return the disk if the data on
the disk are important to you.

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda gives you all the info, including the info
on the progress of the selftest.

HTH,

Kay