[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

N.Toge toge at lcdev.kek.jp
Thu Aug 3 12:25:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

Alfred von Campe wrote on  Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:34:06 -0400

> It's time to resurrect this thread from way back in June.

I suspect this is more of a HW problem rathan a SW one.

About two years ago I had a similar EXT3 fs failure case to
develop on a server running Mandrake Linux. My case was
due to the fact that this desktop Linux computer had two
HDs, where one of them (a Quamtum, top unit on the stack) got
overheated because of the heat emitted by the bottom unit
(a Maxtor). I tried using a recue CD disk to fix the data errors
and limped along for approximately three months. But I but did not
manage to pin down the problem till the top HD eventually died
and noticed that it was burning hot!

So, open the box while it is still running now and feel around
to find if something is wrong.

- Nobu Toge