[CentOS] Printing problem with CUPS and lp/lpr

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Aug 9 17:14:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 15:21 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> It seems rather obvious that the printer is expecting carriage
> returns and not getting any.  What is the "right" way to fix this
> using CUPS, which "owns" the /etc/printcap file.  I can't be the
> first one to run into this issue...

I would avoid printconf - it sucks (my opinion of course, but printconf
really does suck).  It destroys cups.conf.  Instead, use
foomatic-configure to set up/configure your print queue(s) for CUPS.
It's simple to use.  For example:

foomatic-configure -s cups -n epson -N "Epson Stylus Color 600" -L
"Office" -c file:/dev/lp0 -d gimp-print-ijs -p Epson-Stylus_Color_600

Most of that is self-explanatory.  The "tricky" part is finding out
which driver to use ("-d"), and what the Foomatic ID is for your printer
("-p").  The driver bit you can determine by going to the
www.linuxprinting.org.  The ID can be determined by greping the foomatic
database.  For example:

foomatic-configure -O | grep Epson- | sort | less

BTW, if you end up at www.linuxprinting.org, you can download the driver
for your printer from there too, in which case you don't have to use
foomatic-configure.

For more detailed steps, refer to this:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/LinuxKongress2002/Tutorial/II.Foomatic-User/II.tutorial-handout-foomatic-user.html

HTH,